Saturday, December 18, 2010

Guitar!


I am a lucky, lucky girl. This is something I've known for a while now. Sometimes, when life gets hectic and I get stressed out by things that are pretty micro in the grand scheme of things I forget how fortunate I am.

Then BAM! Something happens to make me not only remember that I'm lucky, but makes me feel that I am so blessed my heart may just explode as a side effect.

This was given to me as an early Christmas present by someone I've only known only for a short time. Jason is a guitar maker who works close to my work and I had mentioned I was looking for a guitar to learn how to play on. I was thinking that I wanted a guitar that was seafoam green, accoustic, 7/8ths size, and with steel strings. I mentioned it to him because he's in that world and if for some bizarre reason there was a guitar like that around, maybe he's let me know. Instead, he gave me an instrument that surpassed anything I would have chosen that was made by a former apprentice of his.

I am awed. I am grateful. But more than that, I'm inspired. I'm inspired to pass on this kindness to others and to be deserving of such a gesture. I'm also inspired to learn to play the freaking guitar and shred it up! The instrument itself is simply gorgeous. So far I can play a few chords; G, C, D and Em are in the bag. There are a bunch more I practice but are not so easy! And don't get me started about transitions. So far I can play a really really slow version of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" but my ultimate goal is to play "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel.

Thank you Jason! I'll be blogging about my progress here!

Will trade cupcakes for lessons!